Thursday, June 6, 2013

Happy International Lolita Day!

Hi everyone!

I'll take a break from studying to talk about Loliday. Everywhere in the world (well, except Japan I think) we celebrate Lolita fashion day twice a year. June 1st was one of those dates!

It was actually my first time ever to go to a lolita event. I had only once wore my frills out for an anime con, which, looking at that from today's perspective, was just a mistake.

Although we might have some similar roots (and although sometimes it happens you like both), lolita and otaku are separate things. I am a big anime fan myself, just not what you could call an "otaku". I just enjoy it like I would any regular TV show. And uhm, going to an actual anime convention wasn't fun, nor did I see a lot of lolis ._. I found that particular one I had gone to a bit disorganized. So yeah, that's why I didn't have such a good time.

But I'm really happy to have attended this past Loliday! I got to meet the local community for the first time (^^) Or at least, not exactly meet, but see from afar and then talk on Facebook, ahaha (I'm terribly shy in first time meetings...)

Without further ado, here's my coord!


While it's still the same skirt -and only lolita piece I own, apart from a few cutsews-, I'm quite happy with the whole coordination.

Here's a quick round-down:

Bag, cutsew, inner cutsew, headbow: Liz Lisa

Skirt: Angelic Pretty's Whimsical Vanilla-chan in Mint

Loafers: Esperanza

Socks, accessories: Other/offbrand

The inner cutsew is none other than Liz Lisa's classic "necklace" camis, that have a few pearls and sparkles dangling in chains, meant to use as a shoulder decoration. But I actually used it in the front. It added a nice touch, and I thought the Liz Lisa long-sleeve cutsew was a bit too open-chested to just leave it at that.



I have cross-posted this selfie EVERYWHERE. Couldn't possibly be more vain, even if I tried.


Close-up of the make-up. I'm wearing 3kg more or less but basically all Canmake, and SWIMMER Pacchiri eyelash which I reviewed a while ago. Update: three hours in, these eyelashes are extremely heavy and painful. Ahaha. AHAHAHA. *dies*


Above are a few detail shots.


A back pic for reference.

I love, love mint as a color but I was THIS close to pair the skirt with black. This might seem like a crazy thing to do, but I had seen it done right with a pink skirt. However, I didn't think mintxblack went on as well as pinkxblack. So I dropped the idea.

BUT! While I was wearing lolita and black, I noticed something. For some reason when I'm out in pastels I get really, really self-conscious. But I felt like wearing black was different. It blended in a little better with the environment (even if that's not exactly lolita's purpose) and I also felt more confident.

So I started looking for a predominantly black piece to add to my wardrobe. I decided on this:


Angelic Pretty's Royal Poodle JSK! Always been one of my dream prints, and I saw it on Fairy Angel, secondhand but new with tags. Now let's just cross our fingers and hope it gets here safely.

I'm so psyched for this. I can't recall feeling this excited about anything (well, yes, my AP skirt, actually).

Basically when it gets here I'm going to go ahead a make a big spree on Taobao for matching accessories. I want gold Tea Parties (shoes). It really feels like Loliday has awakened that part that was dormant in me. Fashion makes me happy but frills make me positively giddy.


Since Loliday was in the Japanese Garden of Buenos Aires, afterwards I fed the koi.

What I loved the most was not only meeting the community, but also all the passer-bys who were amazed by our fashion. I had a lot of pictures taken by people who knew nothing about it and had the chance to explain what is was about. I also had an elderly lady call me "lovely", tourists say I'm "like a doll" and two moms ask me for a picture with their children.

It is true every time one goes out like a this, a lot of people laugh behind your back. But it's just so beautiful to see how many are actually interested in your fashion and hearing what you have to say.

I would finally like to congratulate my community for organizing such a wonderful event! It was amazing and I know they all worked very hard, so my hat's off to them.

I should go know. I have a midterm exam tomorrow. God. Please let the exam weeks fly away quickly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment