Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Eating in Japan - Part 3


Finally, this long overdue post! I only have a few more things to blog about until my Japan report is over :(

That makes me kind of sad. By writing, I get to re-live the trip in some way. So I think I'll be kind of depressed when I have nothing else to say about it!

For newcomers, here is a list of posts so far:

2012 January Japan Trip
Locations and misc.
      Part 1 (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku)
      Part 2 (Akihabara, Asakusa)
      Part 3 (More Harajuku)
      Special - Tokyo Disney Sea
      Special - Tokyo Disneyland
      Special - Calico Cat Café
Food and restaurants
      Part 1 (Tokyo)
      Part 2 (Tokyo and Hakone)
      Part 3 (Kyoto and Tokyo Disney Resort) [you are here]
      Special - Alice in Labyrinth Café, Ginza, Tokyo
      Special - Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, Tokyo Disneyland

I'm really proud of myself because I took a picture of almost every meal I had in Japan. That's really hard to complete when you are just desperate to eat the food after hours of walking around, haha.

Without further ado, let's start!

First night out in Kyoto, we ate at an Izakaya. It was close-by to the ryokan (traditional-style hotel) and we were freezing but also needed food. What a dilemma. So we walked a few blocks and came across this small, cozy izakaya.


I'm so glad we did! Their food was SPLENDID. You could tell it was a family business. Two brothers were cooking everything when suddenly their mom walks in, bringing fresh groceries. Everything was so heartfelt and just delicious, made with the best in the market, you could tell! 

My boyfriend had a beer because izakayas are traditionally drinking places (bars that also cater food to accompany the drinks), so we just felt inadequate there with our glasses of water hahaha.


Bits of fish. I can spot some salmon, red tuna, and some random white fish. The table next to us was having this so I just told the waiter "Give me one of those, please" XD


Crab gratin! Or at least... what's left of it... we were so hungry we couldn't even stop for pics for this one haha. But it's easy to imagine - the crab shell was filled with a crab+cheese preparation. Yum!

Afterwards we go back to the hotel, but not without stopping at a conbini (mini-supermarket) for snacks.


So cute!! Basically similar taste to Koara no Maachi, chocolate filling and all.


This caught my attention because Illy is supposed to be a really good coffee brand. You can see my blood red hands from the cold - ick, so creepy. This wasn't such a good can of coffee... I would probably stick to Suntory or Roots coffee, which on the other hand are delicious.

Then, next morning, we were off to see some temples. Right out of the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) complex we spotted two elder women making these babies... ...

Wait for it...


Dango. You know, I thought nothing of these until the very moment when I tried them. Dango are quite possibly the thing I liked the most about Japan - yes, even going head to head with Eleven Imasa's curry!! I just felt unworthy of such godly taste. This is the food of angels. Seriously!!!

I have the gift of being poetic about food, haha.

Enough Kyoto. Tokyo Disney Resort is next!


Mickey churros. Also the most expensive churros I ever had.


If this looks truly unhealthy, it's because it is. This is pork-wrapped... bread... it sort of looked fried, too... disgustingly delicious hahaha. You can get this freak of nature in Disney Sea.


Sweet curry! This was at Arabian Coast, in TDS. So very yummy! The bread was amazing, too.

We had burgers for lunch the Tokyo Disneyland day. I was just tired of pork and chicken. Needed some meat. Hahaha. But of course, burgers aren't really worth photographing. And then afterwards we went to the Queen of Hearts' Banquet Hall, and that is a whole post on its own.

I hope you enjoyed seeing all my food posts! If you did, then photographing all my meals became worth-while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment