Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Eating in Japan - Part Two

Missed Part 1? Click here :)

Like I said in the first part of this post series, eating in Japan was such an experience in itself, it deserved its own posts. Also, I love food too much. So without further ado, let's begin with even more delicious Japanese cuisine!

Yummy karaage dipped in that mildly-sour dipping sauce they always give you.

Let me present to you the best freakin' chicken katsu curry (torikatsu kare) ever in the whole world. We discovered this curry house one day while we wondered lost in Shinjuku est. - funny thing is, we always knew our way TO places, but never the way BACK from the train or subway in Shinjuku est. to the exit closest to the hotel. We finally got the hang of it toward the end of our trip, lol.

But that's not the point here. The point is this was the best curry ever. So good, so cheap and so fast, we ended up eating there most nights of the whole 11 days we were in Tokyo. It was really close-by the hotel, too, so that was amazing. 

And I cannot for the life of me remember the name!! Maybe in my stuff I'll find a receipt or something? I really hope so!

EDIT: A friend from Japan read this entry and sent me the name of the place. It is Eleven Imasa. I am so happy that I now know the name because I seriously loved that place. You can click on their "menu" section and delight your eyes with all the wonderful platters they serve. I so wish I had this kind of curry here in Argentina...

I tried Torikatsu again when I was the US, in the new Katsura Grill in EPCOT. I was like "ughhh, this is not it, it's not it". Nothing is like my subway curry. Nothing. I still miss you, baby.


The weirdest thing from one of those restaurant chains that were EVERYWHERE. Not exactly good, sorry :( but the rice was always yummy, haha.

We ate in that chain again because we had nowhere to go, hahaha. The coleslaw was DELISH. The meat, urghhhh, not so much. I guess I'm used to different meat?

 Heavenly Tempura. The store is called "Tenpura Tendon" (basically, tempura over rice). The daikon sauce they serve you with it is the best thing. It's so good you wish the tempura could never end, lol. It's in Harajuku, in Meiji Doori just between Takeshita St. and Omotesando (closer to the Omotesando corner, I think). It was super chilly that day and they offered us red tea while we waited outside! Outstanding. However, they do take a bit of time with the order.

 While we were in Hakone, supposedly the speciality you HAVE to try are soft-boiled black eggs. The egg shells are turned black because of the high contents of sulfur (? I think) in the water they get from the mountains. My boyfriend tried this, and said it was "just like any other soft-boiled egg". I was too disgusted to even try it, hehehe.

A Hokkaido milkshake, which we got from a convenience store in Hakone. They say Hokkaido milk is amazing, so I've heard. This was really, really sweet and delicious. So I approve.

Is it over yet? NOPE! We still have a few more meals to go!

Unfortunately, because of the amazingness of the torikatsu curry, that is what we ate almost every night... and every other midday... lol.

So that cut down the food variety a bit.

But! Stay tuned, because Kyoto and Disney food are coming next! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my last post! and sorry for my late answer (_ _);
    I was very happy about it, and if you want/have time, please check out my new blog entry! THANKS SO MUCH <3

    woaa! when i look at these pictures i get so hungry (;_;) i really miss the japanese fooood i envy you so muuuch!!


    http://lovely-gyaru-fashion.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete