Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let's Japan - Part 2. Akihabara and Asakusa


More snow on this cold, grey Akihabara morning. We were finally there at the otaku paradise, and man am I glad I'm not such an otaku anymore. I would have gone crazy over the merchandise here. Luckily I controlled my instincts (and blew it all in clothing... ... which you totally can't notice because I wore the same two coats for 15 days straight lol)

Akiba, as some affectionally call it, is amazing. My boyfriend, being an electronics nerd, was happy as can be there. He bought some really weird circuits that I don't really know the use of. But he was gushing all over the place, saying "This is so cool and so cheap!". I have no idea.


^ possibly the lamest video ever of Akiba Denki Gai (electric town). I am very sorry for my poor documentation of this trip. I was overly eager and excited and barely took time to REALLY take good pictures. Luckily my boyfriend took some good ones. But I just suck.

orz  *defeated pose*

Contract? :3


This would have come really in handy. GET IT?!?!?!? GET IT?!

I mean, erm, considering the bad weather.


I bought this game as soon as it came out in the US, lol. NO REGRETS. I love Pokémon.


Japanese UFO catchers have always been intriguing to me. I love the idea of a game that combines both luck and skill, and can get you nifty goodies you won't get anywhere else.

My bf and I stared at the locals playing for long whiles lol. We wanted to pick up the technique.

After a few days we tried out our skills in Shinjuku, and it turns out we weren't so bad! More on that later, of course :)

Then, some hipster pictures in the chikatetsu (subway).



 Ginza line took us to beautiful Asakusa.

Of course, if you are in Asakusa, you must visit Sensoji and Kaminarimon. A local friend recommended it, and I wasn't let down! It is breathtaking. We visited just after the snowfall, so it was all like a winter wonderland.


Kaminarimon, the gate to the thunder god. I read the other god featured is the wind god. Unfortunately the structure is rather new, because it has burned down and had to be reconstructed before D: but! That doesn't make it any less original or beautiful.

Praying at the shrine. You ought to throw a coin and pray.


 Light a candle for hope.
 I do not know much about buddhism, but I think this could be the Kannon of the Goddess of Mercy, for whom the temple is dedicated to. Her or His presence is a sight to be taken aback of. I never feel too much for this things but I truly felt tears coming whenever I saw a statue of any Buddhist deity. They have a timeless power and serenity. It's amazing.



An enchanted winter wonderland :)

 Somebody had made a little snowman, so we immortalized it in a photograph.

 Incense burning.

Cute origami-like flowers in the main "shopping street" that leads to Sensoji.

If I am not mistaken, some Shinjuku, and also Ginza, Tsukiji and Imperial Palace are coming up in my next post.

Check out the previous post for Shinjuku, Shibuya and Harajuku.

I hope you enjoyed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment